Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Serious Play


Greetings dear and precious sisters-in-Christ,

It was my first year, I was hired as a Head Start teacher, my classroom consisted of 18 children. I had a teacher's aide and a foster grandparent to assist me. I was so very nervous - why in the world did I ever think that I would be able to handle 14 children for 6 hours? The first day began, the classroom had been arranged and the schedule had been posted. The bus pulled up to the classroom door and out poured 14 little boys and girls. The first week was just us getting a routine down and getting comfortable with each other. At first I tried to stick to the curriculum which had been set up but after a couple of weeks I realized that it was not working. The children were not happy nor was my assistant. So... I decided to change ever so slightly the way I taught. I looked into the eyes of these 3 and 4 year old's and decided that what was needed was some very serious playtime. The kind of playing that brought laughter and fun and at the same time we learned very important things. Important things like prisms and gravity and colors and shapes and feelings and numbers and sharing and helping and art and beauty. My serious playtime was very hard work, trust me, coming up with ways to keep their little minds thinking and exploring was so rewarding. One of my best times was storytelling time. In order to get them to lay down for their quiet time after lunch I would tell them a story. As each child laid on their mat and quieted themselves I would begin - Once upon a time...

I love a good story, don't you? And the greatest story ever - JESUS.

Abba Father, Glorious and Magnificent GOD, Praise and Glory to thee our most Sovereign and HOLY GOD. Thank You LORD that our lives are kept by thee. That You alone order our days - that You have planned and purposed our days. Oh Lord I pray for each dearest and most precious sister-in-Christ that she would see her days as ordained by thee alone and that all of Your Tender MERCIES have been supplied. May she have joy and hope and peace. May she have some "serious play" with her day. In Jesus Name, Amen.

Once upon a time...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home